One second after that particular picture is pretty much how it feels right now ...
But that's what happens when you take on too damn many projects at once. You might think I would learn but that's just kind of how it goes around here.
- There's all the usual stuff - wife, kids, job, pets, commute ... the baseline stuff of grown-up life today
- A high school band member in the fall in Texas = Marching Season Hell. There's a game every week, and a contest every week, and a late practice every weeknight there's not a game or a contest
- Older kids = them driving older cars which tend to break at the least convenient time. Some days I'm Adama, some days I'm Tirol, just trying to keep the planes flying ...
So game-wise ...
- Warhammer 40,000 is on pace to release ten (10!) new codexes from July through the end of the year. That's unprecedented, and the fact that we have 8 of those 10 armies covered in this house means I've been picking up codexes (and the associated datacards) every month. Reading them, much less getting to play with each of them, has been a challenge.
- As we've grown more interested in 5th Edition D&D I decided some time back to go ahead and pick up the rest of the books. That meant another 6-7-8 books to pick up and read. No, they're not all new this year but catching up was a big challenge when added on top of the 40K stuff. Thank goodness they aren't publishing on 4E's schedule this time.
- I started running a FFG Star Wars game - had to read the rules etc. for that again
- Got the PDF for Mutant Crawl Classics - have to take a run through that!
- My V&V 3.0 hardcopy arrived - have to check that out
- A BASH! bundle? I like that game I should grab that.
- Hey look a new ICONS book - need to read it!
- That new 5E game in the Forgotten Realms - need to pick up some of the relevant material and read through it too!
- Oh the other 5E game I started? Set it in the Scarred Lands? Well now I need to go refresh myself on that too!
- I finally got the finished PDF of the new Star Trek RPG - of course I have to read through it!
There's also trying to read some non-gaming books, that whole catching up on some comic book stuff goal for this year, not to mention trying to paint some mini's for all of these initiatives ...
It's just been ridiculous here this fall.
Some of it is trying to run multiple campaigns at roughly the same time - I haven't even started diving back into my Rifts stuff for the Thanksgiving Rifts Incident. I think a lot of it is starting and running multiple games while 40K is in overdrive. I mean I spent 2015 catching up on Pathfinder and 2016 catching up on FFG Star Wars so I've done this kind of thing before, just not with two major games at the same time. The good news is that I'm caught up on D&D books for 5E itself. The bad news is that the first 40K release of next year is another one that I will need to pick up.
Grousing aside I am amazed at people who manage to run just the one game, and focus in on just the one game, without getting pulled into others. I don't totally understand it, I certainly have no capacity to emulate it, but it's definitely a positive thing at times.
It's also getting towards that time of year where I declare a plan for what I am going to run next year. I expect some hard choices there, but we will see.
In the meantime it's mostly D&D, Pathfinder, and Star Wars with some chance of M&M and Savage Rifts in the forecast for later this month,