Monday, November 30, 2015

11-30-2015


Gundalf the Grey welcomes you ...

Today is the 3rd anniversary of the shutdown of City of Heroes. That's not a good thing - well, other than that I am here to remember it.


THE PHURIOUS PHAROAH BOWS TO NO MAN! NO BEAST! NO THING FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION!
Since the shutdown I've spent a fair amount of time in Federation Space with Star Trek Online and some in The Old Republic as well.

Captain Shamrock after a particularly exotic night out.
They are both fine, good-looking games and can be a lot of fun to play but there's still nothing out right now quite like the ridiculous versatility of City of Heroes and City of Villains.

Blue Aluminum Man - prepare to put it back in deep freeze!

One of these days something very close to it will come along I don't expect anything to perfectly capture the combination of fun, quality, atmosphere, and general good-natured-ness and awesome that was this game.

All good things ...



2 comments:

Greg Johnston said...

I hear you. CoH was my first MMORPG that I ever played. I purchased the game about a month or so after it launched. I played on the Triumph server and joined a very cool and active Super Group. I have a lot of fond memories and experiences from that game and I doubt I'll ever find anything quite like it again. Since the shutdown, I have tried other games like DCU Online, Secret World, SWTOR and even Champions Online. I didn't stick with any of them, because in most respects they play just like every other MMO out there which it the constant grind of gear upgrading. CoH was different that you didn't need near gear to do stuff. Enhancements needed upgrading, but they were not the source of your powers, they just made them better.

Blacksteel said...

I'm with you on pretty much all of that. The lack of gear progression makes a huge difference in feel. It wasn't about getting stuff - it was about doing stuff.