Monday, August 4, 2014

RPGaDay - Day 4 - Most Recent Purchase


My most recent RPG is a set of stuff for Savage Worlds during DriveThruRPG's recent sale. They are:


This is a military-oriented sci-fi game by a Polish company named "GRAmel" that looks a lot like a 40K/Warzone type universe but I'm perfectly fine with that, that's a good option to have with teenage boys in the house. Savage Worlds also plays a heckuva lot easier than the official RPG's for either  setting.The company's main website is in Polish but if you want to see their English work here is their DTRPG page. I'm still reading this one so I'll have more to say next week.


Also from GRAmel is a swords and sorcery setting that I have heard a lot of good things about but never actually read. Honestly, I don;t really need another fantasy RPG but there have been a lot of good reviews of this and it was on sale! I also think it could fit very nicely with the SW mechanics so I need to take a look at it. Again, I'll have more next week.


This is a campaign from Pinnacle that's been out for a while but I never managed to acquire. I have it now in PDF at least and it looks like a lot of fun. It's very much Flash Gordon 30's/40's style pulp sci-fi and I can see it being a blast to play. I have read this one and as much as I like it, I'm not sure who I could run it for - I could probably talk the Apprentices into it even with the retro, because they've seen  the 1980 Flash Gordon and I could show it to them again as a warm-up. Ray-guns, rockets, lion-men, and bird-men all sound cool and the action-oriented nature of the setting would be perfect for them. Beyond that though, I think it would take some doing to convince my other "usual suspects" to dive in for a full campaign.It's still very cool though.


This is an even older Pinnacle campaign that I never picked up. It takes a lot from Van Helsing (the Hugh Jackman movie) and some League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and is sort of a Victorian cyperpunk  - not so much steampunk - with two secret societies at war in the shadows using dehumanizing magic/technology to even up the odds. I'm still reading the campaign section and it's fairly dark. There's less pulp here than in many Savage Worlds games, and more ... dismemberment. It does have some cool ideas, but I'm not sure how interested I would be in running or playing it for the long term. I need to finish it then I will write up my thoughts on the whole thing.

No comments: