Friday, May 19, 2017

40k Friday - Orks 8th Edition Prep




With 8th edition about a month away and the radical changes it seems to be bringing I am scrambling to get some of the armies updated/expanded/finished. I'm making this post to mark where the army is right now and what I am thinking as I work on it - partly to force myself to think through it as I put it down and partly as a historical document so a year from now I can come back and either  rejoice in my amazing foresight or wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Today - Orks!

Now I haven't played my orks in quite a while and there are a few reasons for that. I dove into the Eldar, Chaos, and Blood Angels for the past couple of years, Apprentice Red plays orks quite a bit so I try not to step on his toes, and frankly, that last codex (2014) just didn't seem to really fit how orks have played for most of the history of the game. The rules seemed like a bad fit and ork lists full of boyz became about as common as chaos marine lists full of Chaos Space Marines. Plus it was just less fun to play with changes to mob rule and deffrollas and how instead of breaking the "must have bikes" and "must have lootas" meta that had been around for years the last codex amped it up and added "must have tankbustas" to the list. There was a brief period where the very orky green tide formation was a hit but that disappeared too.

With a new edition and a complete reboot coming though, that should change! So what do I need to do? Let me run down what I already have and then talk about what I want to add or modify for 8th edition.



The core of my force is 100 Goff Slugga Boyz in 5 units of 20 orks each plus a nob for each one of those mobs. Typically these are mounted in Battlewagons. These are led by a mob of 10 Nobz and a Warboss in another Battlewagon or a Trukk depending on points and force org slots. This is the heart of the army.

Backing this up is a unit of 3 lobbas, a mob of 20-something grots, a mob of 20 Kommandos (who often end up playing as Shoota Boyz), a unit of 3 rokkit buggies, a unit of big shoota buggies, and various HQ units like painboyz and weridboyz and the like.

This is usually enough for most games. I like having a bunch of orks charging forward in armored vehicles then bailing out to assault the enemy. I can (and have) played it as a foot list too so there are some options even with just this chunk of the force.

When I first put these guys together years ago my concept was a Goff warband accompanied by some Evil Sunz / Kult of Speed types for the fun of it. The easiest way to tell which was which is the paint job - black stuff is Goff, red stuff is Kult of Speed. As I rework this for 8th I want to get back into a structure where this makes sense.

Goffs

  • 100 boyz (2E starter set goff boyz)
  • 10 nobz (2E metal skarboyz)
  • 10 meganobz (RT/2E orks in power armor)
  • 5 battlewagons (4 custom conversions + 1 different custom conversion)
  • 25 grots (2E starter set gretchin)
  • 2 trukks (old Gorka-Morka style trukks upgraded in various ways)
  • 20 shoota boyz (2E metal Blood Axe boys)
  • 3 wartrakks (that same plastic kit that's been around since Gorka-Morka but with custom crew)
  • 3 lobbas (2E Pulsa-Rokkits)
  • 20 kommandos (2E Blood Axe Kommandos)
  • 10 tankbustas (2E metal Snake Bite Boyz + 2E metal Death Skull Boyz)
  • 10 lootas (2E metal Goff boyz w/old metal Deffguns and RT/2E plastic plasma cannons) 
Kult of Speed
  • Battlewagon (old Armorcast Battlewagon)
  • 20 shoota boyz (2E metal Evil Sunz boyz)
  • 6 warbuggies (RT metal buggies)
  • 2 skorchas (RT metal skorchas)
  • Mek in mega armor (2E mega armor nob)
  • Mek with shokk attack gun (RT shokk attack gun)
  • Dakkajet (current kit)
  • Bommer (current kit)

The idea is that the red force is mostly lighter faster units that can be taken when I feel the need. Plus it lets me paint something besides black for a change. Collecting orks for as long as I have also means that I have a pretty big pile of un-allocated and un-painted stuff too. At least another 60+ of the old plastic grots, a bunch of metal grots, 20 more plastic RT orks, a mob of madboyz,  a squad of boarboyz, a half-converted trukk, another 20 goff boyz - just a lot of stuff in the ork box that says "hey do something interesting with me" whenever I look in there.  Top of the list is converting some old plastic terminators into mega-nobz.


The biggest "uncommitted" unit I have is a group of ten killa kans and a pair of deff dreads. None of them are the current kit of course. I have 3 built from scratch years ago and used in many battles since, 6 RT ork dreadnoughts, and one 2E ork dreadnought. The dreads are Org Atrocitors from Demonblade which at the time were really big and beefy but they look a little small next to the current monster that is the plastic ork dread. I'm thinking about putting Goff bosspoles on all of them and just making them part of that force. They're a mish-mash of paint jobs so it's not like they look like a unified unit anyway. I need to finish these guys up for 8th for sure.

Now you would think a big pile of goff orks plus a smaller extra force would be plenty but you might also note that a lot of that stuff is pretty old. I'm kind of missing the chance to play with the current ork range. I don't really want to mix styles too much so I am thinking about adding a third element here of all new stuff and painting it as Bad Moonz. It's not like I don't know yellow! I don't have a particular plan for this group other than picking an choosing the current stuff I like the best - a battlewagon, a dread, maybe some big gunz, all alongside some of the newer style boyz. Like my Iyanden Eldar this would be a fresh start/new style units only force - the older stuff can stay with the first two groups.



Future Plans

  • Stormboyz! The one ork infantry unit I really do not have and the one I really want to add on. "Jump pack orks" is a recipe for fun in games and I do need to add some soon.
  • I do like the current ork dread and I am hoping the new rules will make it worthy of its ferocious look. Need to get one.
  • One more jet painted up in Goff colors. Mine are not and that's why they're in with team red but I would like one for the boyz in black.
  • I should probably look at Ghazgkull at some point too - Goffs and all that.
  • Gorkanaut/Morkanaut! I thought the models were great and then I saw the rules and they were terrible. With the new edition hope is renewed and a big centerpiece model is definitely something I "need". In fact I may "need" 2 or 3 of them before I am done.
  • Stompa! If we're talking about big centerpiece models, well, this is the big one for the orks. It's definitely on the list.
I definitely feel like I have enough of the regular ork units  - I am really only looking for the big centerpiece type models at this point. I'd like to spend the rest of this year finishing up the two forces I have and save the Bad Moonz expansion for next year's ork project. Even that's true to the fluff, right? As the Waagh grows more and more clans and units join in!

One obvious thing that's missing here is bikes. Everybody takes bikes in their ork army, mainly because they're one of the few units that's actually been effective for the last few editions and codexes. I don't hate them or anything but I don't think every single ork army should be centered around them so I do my part to even that out. I may add some someday but they're not even on the list right now. 

Unlike my Marine and Eldar armies I'm not feeling the need to add a bunch of character types. There are not that many named ork special characters anyway and they don't have those unusual types like the Avatar or the Sanguinor either.



Looking at 8th

When the edition comes out there are some specific things I want to try. A whole bunch of boyz on foot - does it work? How about boyz in Battlewagons? Trukk mobz? How are the psykers? How about a kan wall type list? With Apprentice Red also playing orks we should have the opportunity to try out a multitude of possible combinations and I am really looking forward to it.


2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Is there any difference between the ork clans in current 40K? I loved how wild and diverse the orks were in first and second editions but third edition was so bland I drifted away from the greenskins and never went back. I've kept an eye on the model ranges since then and there doesn't appear to be any difference aside from paint job.

Blacksteel said...

No, not really. I mean, there's a difference to Ork _players_ but there's not been anything in the game since maybe 3rd edition. I thought it was a huge missed opportunity with all of the formations that came out for 7th. Hopefully we get something tied to the clans when they get around to putting a book out about them in 8th. I don't expect one at launch, but next year would certainly give them enough time to do something interesting.