Monday, January 2, 2012

Game-planning the New Year


I've had a very refreshing week off and spent a lot of time reading and thinking about how I want to spend my gaming time this year. I've realized that the ideal mix for me would be one D&D campaign, one Supers campaign, and one "other" campaign - sci-fi, western, something different. I'm not sure I can arrange that, but it's a goal to keep in mind.

Looking back, I did manage to get in quite a bit of D&D, some Star Wars (both d6 and Saga), some Supers (ICONS & Marvel), and even managed to work in some board games (including Federation Commander) before the end of the year, so I'm going to say "Mission Accomplished" for 2011.

The big want-to's for the year:

  • Run Warhammer Fantasy RP - I've sat on those books for too long and after re-reading a bunch of them it's a really good game that I want to run
  • Run a sandbox game of D&D 4 - too much West Marches on my brain and 4E is darn near tailor-built for this kind of "campaign". More on this later.
  • Try one of the 40K RPG's - they do seem to be popular and lord knows I've spent enough time and money on 40K over the years.
  • Get some kind of regular Savage Worlds game up and running - probably Deadlands, maybe something else

Sandboxing D&D, running ICONS or Necessary Evil with the Apprentices, and then some kind of Deadlands or Warhammer would would meet my other goals above and hit most of this list. I'm continuing the Temple 4E campaign with the Apprentices regardless.

I'm still considering my "game-of-the-month" plan for the apprentices. It might be better to just focus on 2 or 3 recurring games with them and not try to switch out on some limited schedule. Depth or breadth, it's a hard choice.

I kind of feel that if you can find a few games you like and play them regularly with a group of interested players then you shouldn't fret too much about what you're NOT getting to play. Still, this is the time of year for looking ahead so I don't feel to bad thinking out loud and online about it for a bit.

No comments: