Monday, March 27, 2017

Something New (-ish) for Monday: Old D&D Adventures from Goodman Games and WOTC




I'm a little surprised they're being this direct. Goodman Games is going to be doing "collector's edition" reprints of B1 and B2 (at least) with all of the original material plus 5E stats and some other additional material.

I'm ... impressed.

I thought we would be seeing more of the "re-interpretation" we've been seeing with their campaigns so far. It's an approach that covers both the nostalgia angle while still being "new" to a large degree. Handing it off to Goodman Games, the "retro" publisher (they print Dungeon Crawl Classics, among other games) means that WOTC isn't "wasting" their limited resources recycling old material. They're allowing and encouraging the kind of stuff some of us wanted for a long time.  It's remarkable how far we've come.

Yes, I will probably end up getting some or all of these. I've converted some of the old adventures for every single D&D campaign I've ever run and I think you could run a perfectly fine 5E campaign using nothing but converted AD&D modules.

This is a really cool development.

1 comment:

Monkapotomus said...

I just picked up the 5E Players Handbook and was looking for an older module to test the system on. I was actually thinking B2 or L1 - The Secret of Bone Hill. This is great timing. I may roll with B2 as is and see how it compares but I wouldn't mind a physical copy of the module anyway.