I saw it over the weekend and the short version is that if this had been the second movie instead of the third the series would be in better shape. It's just a better movie in pretty much every way. I'm keeping the spoilers light so if you've seen the trailers I don't think anything new is revealed here.
Some High Points:
- It's very respectful of Trek history. Canon matters if you want to call it that.
- Kirk is less of an impulsive maker of bad decisions here. This Kirk has a little maturity and seems more like TOS Kirk than he has before.
- There are lots of nice little character moments in the film that feel true to the characters
- The new character is decent. If she shows up in the next movie then she adds a lot more interesting. If she's a one-off, well, OK.
- The villain was more interesting than I expected. He's not original Khan, but he's not bad.
- That space station is just ridiculously huge. Why would you build a station of that size in the middle of nowhere? Is it a deliberate effort to show how tiny the Enterprise is? If it takes a year or more to build an Enterprise type ship how long did it take to build that thing? It bothered me every time they showed it.
- A lot of the movie takes place on one previously unknown planet - a LOT of the movie. You only get so many shots at a movie and I'd like to see a little more of the universe than we did in this one. The station almost made up for it and this isn't a huge deal, more of a wish list kind of thing.
- The results of the attack used late in the movie seems like a stretch, even for Trek. I get jamming frequencies to stop enemy coordination - that part I can accept - but the resulting explosions seem difficult to explain. Not critical to the plot but kind of a "how did that work?" moment after the movie ended.
So I liked it, a lot more than the last one. It feels like they are finally off and running and doing their own thing. They are moving in the right direction and I'm glad they are making a 4th installment as there is still a lot of interesting and entertaining stuff they could do in this version of Star Trek.
- Original Series
- Animated series
- Original Cast Movies
- Next Generation
- Next Gen Movies
- Deep Space 9
- New Trek
- (New CBS Series ST Discovery)