Friday, March 11, 2016

The "Time Cellist" RPG

No, seriously, this is a real RPG:



Time Cellist! is a role-playing game, and an undeniably silly one at that. However, if you’re the kind of person who thinks the idea of helping a heroic cellist save the known  universe  from  Tchaikovsky  and  his  evil  army  of  ninjas  sounds  like  fun,  you  might as well keep reading. 

It's on Drive Thru RPG here. I have not purchased it but I did read the preview section and I think it's really cool that people are creating games like this. Another benefit of the Electronic Age and PDF rules.

Review-wise I am completely comfortable saying that the mechanics don't really matter that much - you look at that cover and read that intro and you're either on board or you're not. I don't think it's something that my players and I are going to jump on but I like that this exists. Oh, and this:

Optional: While not required, we strongly suggest that you come up with a Time Cellist!theme song that you sing regularly during play, perhaps in between acts. If you can’t come up with anything, might we suggest: 

TIME CELLIST!

TIME CELLIST!

SAVIN’ THE WORLD!!

ROCKIN’ THROUGH TIME! 

HERE SHE COMES! 

TIME CELLIST! 

OH YEAH!


TIME CELLIST!

I like this a lot. more RPG's should have theme songs you can sing. I've talked about music in RPGs before but I think it's an under-utilized element.

It may not be me, but I'm sure someone out there is going to become aware of this game and immediately try to get a group together to play it. Heck, they funded it with a Kickstarter so someone out there likes it! That's a good thing.

No comments: