Monday, September 29, 2014

Spirit of 77 - Game & Kickstarter

I had a post last week about some other RPG Kickstarters but for this one I wanted to showcase it solo.


Kickstarter is here.

I really like this one. The overall approach from the style of writing to the look of the game to the kickstarter video - take a look at it - is just really well done. The Atari cover on the extra book just kills me. They mention everything from the Dukes of Hazard to the Six Million Dollar Man to Smokey and the Bandit and Columbo as influences. It looks like a lot of fun.

I downloaded the sample adventure which has quite a bit of rules material as well, enough to run a game, and it's pretty interesting. It's more in the FATE/Marvel Heroic school of design than Hero or Pathfinder, but there are still dice to be rolled, fights to be had, and things to be jumped over in cars. I don't know how quickly we will be trying it out. It's set on a cruise ship where interesting things start to happen. Among the sample characters is the "captain of the Texas Tornados cheerleaders" and I have to say I cannot recall the last time I saw something like that presented as a viable character choice in an RPG. They also note that down the road they will be doing conversion rules for FATE and Savage Worlds too if that floats your boat.

Anyway, I think it's cool and there are still a few days left to jump in if you're interested too.

4 comments:

Greg Johnston said...

A friend of mine once ran a campaign using HERO system, he called it "Hong Kong '75". It was very influenced by Enter the Dragon.

Adam Dickstein said...

Great mind my friend. Was about to post a link to this tonight myself.

Still going to. I am really interested in this. I have has this Cannonball Run RPG idea in my head since forever that this would be perfect for.

Adam Dickstein said...

Oh, and as for the Cheerleader Captain being a viable PC choice, you haven't played in one of my games.

That would have been considered 'typical' in my campaigns some 25-30 years ago.

Anthony N. Emmel said...

I backed soon after it launched at the "Bad Mother" level. My college-age daughters says I need to get one of these now:

http://badmofowallets.com/

:D