Saturday, October 3, 2009

3rd ed Campaigns 2 - Kalamar

This was a rather short campaign that began with the first Kalamar adventure 'The Root of all Evil.' It's not a bad module, but there is a fair amount of railroading. My biggest problem was that the object of the adventure trilogy (a Coin of Power) is statted out and it in no way measures up to the amount of fuss being made over it. This somewhat undercut my enthusiasm for the module but I tried to make the best of it. The party made it into the second module before voting to go back to Greyhawk to try and salvage something from the RttTOEE adventure.

In hindsight, these adventures could have used more customizing by me, but my players were up for the mission. There were some fun moments with the Elf Twins in the party and with the unconscious Paladin being dragged off into the desert by his panicked horse - for all we know he's still wandering out there.

I give Root of All Evil a B-.

One thing that gave me some trouble also was making Kalamar come to life. It's a fairly detailed world if you have most of the books, but there's no big 'hook' that pulled me in. Greyhawk has history and legendary names, the Realms has it's own attractions, Scarred Lands has an interesting take on things, but Kalamar always seemed a little bland. I liked that feature at first, but it has become more noticeable over time as I have run more games set in the world. I'll discuss that more in another post.

No comments: